Design South performed the design and construction administration (pro bono) of a “pocket park” in downtown Anderson to display a 1911 Westinghouse generator from Portman Shoals Power Plant. Although now submerged below Lake Hartwell, Portman Shoals was the site of the first long distance transmission of electric power in the South causing Anderson to be nicknamed “The Electric City”.
Located at a major street intersection, the landscaped pedestrian park is fully accessible and provides views of the generator to both downtown pedestrians and motorists as well. The massive 13-foot diameter, 50,000-pound “big wheel” is an eye catching salute to the rise of the new industrial South that emerged after the Civil War and to a significant milestone in Anderson’s history. The project was entirely funded by a local philanthropic group that seeks to add art and interest to downtown Anderson.